My Mind

My Mind
This is my mind

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Clyde in shining armor

Come on, Clyde. Isn't it time to go home?
Why? It's only 3 in the morning. The day is young. We'll go back to the Patio and let Charlie out. One last beer would be good to end the night.
Well, nothing for me, said Charlie. I have to go to work at 8 unlike you two bums.
We pulled into the drive-in restaurant just as the rain began. Clyde stopped the car. OK, Charlie. See you tomorrow?
You mean this evening? Yeh. I'll call you. He got out of the back seat and headed for his car at the end of the car park covering. The rain was beating heavily on the trunk of the car when Charlie drove off.
ONe more? Clyde asked.
Sure. We stepped into the rain and began to race to the shelter of the front door overhang. Man! It's pouring down.
And cold, I said.
Clyde stopped at the door and turned around. Do you hear that? He asked.
What?
Listen. We stood quietly in the safety of the overhang. Through the drumbeat of the rain was a sniffling sound. That, he said and began to walk in the direction of the sound. Around the corner huddled among the trash cans was a wet and bedraggled girl sobbing in the rain.
What's wrong honey, asked Clyde as he stooped down near her. The rain beat upon the two of them.
She looked up at him then put her head down again continuing to sob softly.
Are you all right? Clyde said touching her. Don't I know you? You live on the street behind me, don't you? You're Amanda, right?
She nodded her head yes without speaking.
Why don't you come with us out of the rain, honey. You'll catch your death in this cold. Maybe a cup of coffee to warm you up. Go get some coffee, Rick.
I went inside to get the coffee. Meanwhile, Clyde led her to the car. When I got there she was shivering in the back seat. Clyde took the cup from me and held it out for her. Here's the coffee. It's hot. It'll warm you up.
She sat up for the cup and drank some down. She held it in cupped hands relishing the warmth.
You should be home, Amanda. Would you like me to take you home now?
No, I can't go home, she croaked and began to sob again. the hot liquid spilled onto her hands and she whimpered. Clyde took the cup, rolled down the window and tossed it out.
How about we just ride around a bit. They're closing here and we have to leave.
She whimpered ok. With that Clyde cranked the old Ford and we drove into the night.
He took 17 out of town crossing over the Ashely River Bridge. The drive was a leisurely one while Amanda regained control of herself. It was about 30 minutes later that he looked at me with that quizzical look. Amanda, I'm going to find a place to park and we'll talk. All right?
She nodded. There was a spot up the road that was quiet with no neighbors to be questioning our stopping at such a late hour. He pulled up and shut down the engine.
We sat for a while, no one speaking. She was still crying softly.
Clyde finally broke the silence. Amanda, wouldn't you like to go home now?
I can't go home, she sobbed. My daddy kicked me out of the house.
You don't mean that, he said. Why would he do such a thing?
Because I'm pregnant.
We sat stunned. Just the word pregnant in those days was taboo amongst the single folk. She was a single folk. A sixteen year old single folk.
Gosh, honey. I don't know what to say.
She began to talk through the sobs, It was a date. The only time I ever went out with this guy. He slipped something into my drink. I didn't know it. I don't drink. I passed out. When I woke up. He said he was taking me home. I was all fuzzy headed and not sure what was happening or where the night had gone. He dropped me at my door and left. When I went into the house and to bed I found articles of my clothing missing.
The next day I called him and asked him what had happened. He told me what he'd done and I'm so ashamed. How could anyone treat another person like that? He never came around again and I started being sick in the morning. I made an appointment with a doctor. It was for yesterday at 3. the doctor told me I was going to have a baby. I cried all the way home. When my dad got home from work he wanted to know what was wrong with me. When I told him he exploded, telling me what an ungrateful bitch I was and that he wouldn't allow a whore to live under his roof.
I tried to explain it wasn't my fault, but he just screamed at me grabbed me by the arm, opened the screen door and threw me out screaming get out of my house you little whore! Go live with whoever got you in this condition. I won't have you living here anymore. With those words, he slammed the door and turned out the light.
I was wandering around til a friend picked me up. She drove over to the Patio. I ran away so she couldn't find me. I've been crying all night. If you hadn't picked me up I don't know what I'd have done.
Clyde climbed out of the front seat and into the back. It's all right, he said. She curled up against him and rested her head on his chest. After a bit she fell into a fitfully sleep.
We sat there til the dawn began to lighten the sky. She wept in her sleep jerking occasionally with a heavy sob. Clyde sat quietly with his arm around her while she rested.
With the sound of birds greeting the day, she awoke and looked around. She sat up and asked what time it was.
Sunrise, I said. Not sure of the exact time.
Clyde woke from a light sleep. He looked at her and asked, Would you like to try to go home now?
I don't think he'll let me back.
Well let's try. I'll talk to him. Maybe he'll listen.
She nodded weakly.
Clyde returned to the front seat and cranked the car. He looked back to be sure she was all right. She smiled meekly at him. He pulled slowly into the road and headed toward her house. When we got there, he jumped out of the car and walked to the front door. I stayed in the car with Amanda.
Amanda's mother opened the door. Clyde spoke to her looking back at the car. The woman looked at the car then into the house and called out. The father came to the door in answer. Clyde stepped into the house his hand on the elbow of the father. Amanda's mother came running out to the car opening the door and pulling Amanda into her arms, sobbing, my baby, my baby.
Clyde stepped from the doorway while the father held the screen door open. Clyde started back to the car. Amanda enveloped in the arms of her mother walked fearfully toward her father at the door. Clyde passed them on his way back to the car. As they passed the mother mouthed the words "Thank You" to Clyde. He smiled and nodded.
We drove away in silence. I thought, how sad to know such grief. How wonderful to know such forgiveness.
I've seen her in recent years. She married and has a lovely little family. She forgave her father those many years ago. He needed forgiveness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment