My Mind

My Mind
This is my mind

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Parties? We don't need no stinking parties!

I've been trying to think of a New Year's day that stands out. The morre I think the less I remember. I figure it's because I was drunk through so many of the High school and colege and military days that the memories were obliterated. I don't remember anything from the childhood years either, I guess, because nothing big was made of it by my folks. And after my son was born it was just another day for an early night because he was an early riser. Right after his first year on this planet I remember flying to Clinton, NJ, to spend a week with my sister-in-law. We were practically the only passengers aboard when the plane left Charleston International Airport---hahahahahahahaha.. sorry, that always cracks me up, an international airport that sends all planes going international to Atlanta or Charlotte as a stop point. I don't even remember the time we spent in NJ because most of that period has been blocked out as well, not from alcohol abuse but simply as a means of escaping time. So I have no cute memories of the New Year being rung in. I have no wild drunken parties to regale. New Year's was just another day with no distinguishing characteristics. It was always the countdown to my birthday 45 days beyond. I would love to have some memory of one but it's just giving me a headache to rummage through the wet acreage of my brain. So I'll just say, here's another entry meaningless as it may be.

2 comments:

  1. My mother was Scottish and New Years seemed to have more importance. We stayed up and had a little midnight feast and exchanged a token gift. It seemed like a big deal but in retrospect a very modest celebration. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds lovely. I do remember raising a glass of egg nog when a kid and saying Happy New Year to my parents at the strok of twelve. Happy New Year to you as well and may it be a prosperous one.

    ReplyDelete