My Mind

My Mind
This is my mind

Monday, November 14, 2011

Grandma! Grandma? Oh, Grandma....

Gosh, I don't have a clue as to how to fill this space today. What to say? What to say? Hmmmm....
There is Christmas music on the radio. It's my wish that Christmas music be played starting AFTER Thanksgiving. It reminds me of the days when I was growing up. I'm 5 and a half years old. I'm six and a half years old. I'm seven and a half years old. I'll be sixteen in three months. I only have a couple of weeks until I'm eighteen. I was always rushing through life to a goal. That's how the retailers rush us through the last three months of the year.
The one major day of the year lingers at the latter part of December. It was THE most important day of the year for us kids the 50's and 60's. Christmas! It was nothing like today. It was a mixture of the Sacred and the secular. Sacred because of it's true meaning which we felt in our bones. Jesus' birthday. He wasn't an after thought.
I don't know when the Holidays became the most important shopping days. A plastic holiday in every way. Plastic displays paid for with plastic cards swiped with plastic smiles. It's our modern age bereft of miracles. The greatest miracle of the Savior's birth began to fade. The sound of carols over shadowed by more secular melodies.
The merchant's sales pitch interspersed by poorly sung holiday songs. I cringe when I hear Mariah Carey's annoying attempts to inject the scales into her holiday fair. Then, the epitome of the new song expressing the holiday's best, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. When I first heard this I knew it was gone. The magic of the season, the wonder of it all, is but a shadow of memory from long ago.
Though the radio has begun to play it's holiday songfest I will try to look forward to Thanksgiving in its rightful place and wait to embrace Christmas in its rightful time. In addition I will reach back in time and memory to reclaim the wonder of its miraculous origin.

No comments:

Post a Comment